Re: SELECT FOR UPDATE

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Mike Castle <dalgoda(at)ix(dot)netcom(dot)com>, Postgres <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SELECT FOR UPDATE
Date: 2001-08-23 20:35:55
Lists: pgsql-general

Oliver Elphick wrote:
> However, it would be convenient if the database would do this for me. I
> still don't understand why people think it undesirable for it to do so, since
> it is a problem universal to multi-user databases and the effort is
> therefore more economically spent at the database rather than at the
> application level.

Because you'd need a dedicated DB connection per logged in
user (think about that in big ERP systems with 10,000+ logged
in users - would like to see that DB server). Any web server
technology has or is seeking for database connection pooling
these days, and they don't do it just because all these
multi-threading issues are such a fun to resolve.

Just because it'd be convenient for application programmers
doesn't make something a good solution.

Jan