Re: Signals blocked during auth

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, PostgreSQL HACKERS <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Signals blocked during auth
Date: 2001-08-22 17:14:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Tom Lane writes:
>
> > I think this is fairly irrelevant, because a not-yet-backend should
> > have a fairly short timeout (a few seconds) before just shutting
> > down anyway, so that malfunctioning clients can't cause denial of
> > service; the particular case you mention is just one scenario.
>
> I have a note here about an authentication timeout on the order of a few
> minutes. You never know what sort of things PAM or Kerberos can go
> through behind the scenes.
>
> > OTOH, it'd be easy enough to turn on SIGTERM/SIGQUIT too, if you
> > think there's really any value in it.
>
> I think that would be reasonable.

OK, I'll go ahead and enable these two during authentication
with a special signal handler that simply does exit(0). The
postmaster expects all it's children to suicide anytime soon
more or less bloody depending on if he send's TERM or QUIT.
But at least, they have to terminate without waiting for the
client or otherwise infinitely.

Jan