Re: A fixed user id for the postgres user?

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A fixed user id for the postgres user?
Date: 2001-08-20 15:36:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> One idea to resolve this, by getting rid of the usesysid column in favour
> of the oid column has fallen by the wayside (for some valid reasons), so
> the problem remains. I think the simplest fix would be to assign a fixed
> usesysid of 1. There still is the possibility of changing that with an
> initdb option, as there always has been. (We could also ensure that
> CREATE USER never assigns ids below, say, 10, so that if for who knows
> what reason we decide to add more users into the bootstrap installation we
> have some room.)

Do we do any mapping from uid to usesysid in the code? It is all by
user name right, so changing it will not affect authentication.

Remember local PEER/CRED authentication passes ownership by uid, not
name and people mostly use sameuser mapping. Does this work?

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us