Re: Locale by default?

From: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Locale by default?
Date: 2001-08-20 01:12:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> It occurred to me that a server with locale features that is started in
> the C locale is going to behave the same as a server without locale
> features. The exception are a few extra memory moving operations. (I
> sincerely hope that all systems' libcs have optimized paths for the C
> locale.) So we could get rid of this --enable-locale switch altogether.
> Given our international user base, this would be an appropriate step and
> move the locale support out of the "cumbersome secondary feature"
> compartment. What do you think?

I wouldn't object it if there is a way to disable locale support. We
in Japan are always troubled by borken Japanese locales on some
systems. I'm afraid to hear more complains if there is no way to
disable the locale support. Moreover, collation of locales for
Japanese are broken on all platforms as far as I know. I'm not sure
about other Asian languages though.
--
Tatsuo Ishii