Re: encoding names

From: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us
Cc: zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: encoding names
Date: 2001-08-18 06:46:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> But is it really important? All Unixen that I know of handle process
> text segments on a page-by-page basis; pages that aren't actually being
> touched won't get swapped in. Thus, the unused maps will just sit on
> disk, whether they are part of the main executable or a separate file.
> I doubt there's any real performance gain to be had by making the maps
> dynamically loadable.

I did some testing on my Linux box (kernel 2.2) and confirmed that no
performance drgration was found with unicode-conversion-enabled
postgres. This proves that your theory is correct at least on Linux.

Ok, I will make the unicode conversion functionality as a default if
--enable-multibyte is on.
--
Tatsuo Ishii