Re: Dollar in identifiers

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>, Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>, PostgreSQL HACKERS <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Dollar in identifiers
Date: 2001-08-17 17:46:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane writes:
>
> > Option 2 improves Oracle compatibility, at the price of breaking
> > backwards compatibility for applications that presently use $ as part
> > of multi-character operator names. (But does anyone know of any?)
>
> Hmm, postgresql-7.2devel_petere_privatebranch... :-(
>
> Well, the Euro is already allowed in identifiers, so I rest.

OK, I will give my idea on this and people can make a decision.

We have pulled over Oracle specific stuff when they added features to
our existing code. In this case, we are addinng dollarsign to the
identifiers just for compability. No one is saying, "Gee, I like to see
dollarsigns in my tablenames, and I can't do that." They want it only
for compatibility.

Now, I know we have accepted compatibility stuff when it was easy to do.
It is just that changing the identifiers we accept seems pretty major to
me. However, if others think it isn't a big deal, I can go along with
it.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us