RE: pg_connect vs. pg_pconnect

From: "Leonello, Chris (C(dot)R(dot))" <cleonell(at)visteon(dot)com>
To: "'Hunter, Ray'" <rhunter(at)enterasys(dot)com>, "'Chris Ruprecht'" <chrup999(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: "Pgsql-php (E-mail)" <pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: pg_connect vs. pg_pconnect
Date: 2001-08-10 17:45:23
Lists: pgsql-php

Note that pg_close will not close persistent links (this is stated in the
docs). I have not found anything in the PHP docs that indicates what will
close a persistent connection.

However, I do believe there is a bug. I noticed with php version 4.03pl1
and PostgreSQL 7.03 that I would receive errors like "not a valid PostgreSQL
result resource" when trying use persistent connections and had dozens of
lingering postgres processes. Apparently, not only was PHP not detecting
existing open persistent connections and using them, it was then getting
confused as it opened new connections. I did not have this problem with an
earlier version of PHP (possibly 4.01?) that I was using on a development
server. When I switched to pg_connect, the problem disappeared.

There are bug reports on php.net relating to this problem, (#8769, #12558,
#11771, ...). There have been other posts to the list (2/5/01 and 4/18/01)
which I believe all point to this same problem with persistent connections
not working and/or lingering forever. I don't have any solutions, but I
would be interested to hear from anyone having similar problems because I
think this is wide spread (for those using p_connect). Maybe we will
stumble across some solution or I will gather enough info to put together
one coherent and specific bug report. Current bug reports are either closed
because the were too vague, closed with the response that persistent
connections are not supposed to close (never ever close...?) or still
unassigned.