Re: OID wraparound: summary and proposal

From: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us
Cc: pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: OID wraparound: summary and proposal
Date: 2001-08-08 01:22:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Well, it'd keep user-space wraparound from affecting the system tables,
> but given that the system tables have adequate defenses already (ie,
> unique indexes) I'm not sure that there's any point. It'd not improve
> the picture for user-table OID uniqueness by any measurable degree.

But from the point of users' view, it does not prevent "create XXX
comand fails due to Oid wraparounding" problems, no?

Also I am worried about the performance of the per table Oid
generators. Even the system tables going to have that kind of
generators? What would happend if there are 5k tables in a database?
It's not very rare situation in a large installation.
--
Tatsuo Ishii