Re: Distributed databases

From: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
To: "Grigoriy G(dot) Vovk" <grigoriy(dot)vovk(at)linustech(dot)com(dot)cy>
Cc: Robert(dot)Farrugia(at)go(dot)com(dot)mt, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Distributed databases
Date: 2001-08-08 14:39:07
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 09:40:21AM +0300, Grigoriy G. Vovk wrote:
> Aug 8, 07:17 +0200, Robert(dot)Farrugia(at)go(dot)com(dot)mt wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know of any package which allows a database to be distributed
> > over a number of machines (for e.g. depending on row values, rows from 0 -
> > 100 on machine A, rows 100 - 200 on machine B, etc) ? Preferably this
> > package should also offer a means to automatically split the query over all
> > the machines in the domain ?
>
> Yes, I do, I know a package which does perfect exactly what you want.
> It is IBM DB2 Extended Enterprise Edition :))
>
> I don't think you are able to find something similar to DB2 for
> PostgreSQL. I'll be happy to be wrong....

Not in the current PostgreSQL source. There was an academic project built
on Postgres95, called Mariposa, that did exactly what you describe. It
was commericalized as Cohera (www.cohera.com) which has retargetted as a
'business content integration solution provider' whatever that means.

They've always targetted the Large Enterprise market, so much so that
I can't find pricing info on their site (if you have to ask ...)

I took a look at porting Mariposa to the current PostgreSQL source about
a year ago, but it was beyond my skills and knowledge at the time. It's
another one of the interesting bits of Postgres history that needs to
be dusted off and looked at again.

Ross