Re: OID wraparound (was Re: pg_depend)

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Mikheev, Vadim" <vmikheev(at)SECTORBASE(dot)COM>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: OID wraparound (was Re: pg_depend)
Date: 2001-07-18 21:09:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > If you want to make oids optional on user tables,
> > we can vote on that.
>
> Let's vote. I'm proposing optional oids for 2-3 years,
> so you know how I'll vote -:)

OK, we need to vote on whether Oid's are optional, and whether we can
have them not created by default.

> > However, OID's keep our system tables together.
>
> How?! If we want to find function with oid X we query
> pg_proc, if we want to find table with oid Y we query
> pg_class - we always use oids in context of "class"
> to what an object belongs. This means that two tuples
> from different system tables could have same oid values
> and everything would work perfectly.

I meant we use them in many cases to link entries, and in pg_description
for descriptions and lots of other things that may use them in the
future for system table use.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us