Re: sequence primary key

From: Jason Earl <jdearl(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Virginie Garcia <Virginie(dot)Garcia(at)pmtg(dot)u-bordeaux2(dot)fr>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: sequence primary key
Date: 2001-07-17 18:21:19
Lists: pgsql-novice

You are *very* close to having what you want. The
trick is to remember that the a "default" value is
simply the value that will be inserted into your new
record if you don't supply one yourself. In other
words, you need to make sure that you don't specify a
toto_id in your insert query. For example your query
should look something like:

INSERT INTO toto (db) VALUES ('SOME VALUE')

And then when you select from the table you will find
that the toto_id column was filled automagically.

processdata=> SELECT * FROM toto;
toto_id | db
1 | SOME VALUE
(1 row)