Re: Silly newbie questions

From: GH <grasshacker(at)over-yonder(dot)net>
To: jim davis <jdavis(at)amphi(dot)com>
Cc: "'pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Silly newbie questions
Date: 2001-07-13 18:46:46
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 08:44:44AM -0700, some SMTP stream spewed forth:
> Ok, I was directed that I would be taking over an old mac based database
> and was told that we would be moving to a SQL based DB. I looked into
> MySQL (sorry, I know thats a bad word around these parts :) )and sorta
> got into it. Well, I saw the light and have decided to move to
> PstgreSQL.

Congratulations, you have found the One True Database. :)

> I have downloaded and installed on my SuSE linux server the
> latest version (7.1.2) and got it to work... But I have noticed some
> differences (duh) that I can't find answers for in the online docs.

> In the command line interface in MySQL, if I wanted to see all the
> databases on my server, or if I wanted to see all the tables in a given
> database, I would type "show databases" or "show tables" but that
> doesnt seem to work in PostgreSQL...

Databases: select * from pg_database
Tables can be shown by \dt.
Look into the 'backslash' commands in psql (i.e. refer to \?).
You might also gain something from the psql manpage.
Starting psql with -E will show the actual queries used in the backslash
commands.

> Also, is there a painless way to get all of my MySQL databases and data
> moved over to PostgreSQL?

I know there have been some efforts, and I think there are some completed
systems, but I am not familiar with these.

> thanks!
> -Jim

gh
--
> What, no one sings along with Ricky Martin anymore?
My kid sister does (but then, she prefers pico to vi ...)
-- Suresh Ramasubramanian, alt.sysadmin.recovery