Re: pgaccess - international characters

From: Sandro Dentella <sandro(dot)dentella(at)tin(dot)it>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgaccess - international characters
Date: 2001-07-13 09:35:27
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

> Now we have several Windows workstations using pgaccess to enter data into
> several tables. Everything is fine when using forms. International
> characters (like the german umlaute) work fine. But when I open the table
> directly don't get human readable output for the characters. It varies
> from one or several blank characters to "garbage".

You can try TkSql. I wrote it for an Italian company, we use all sort of
accented letters from latin1, it uses TkTable instead of the canvas, maybe
that makes the difference (forms use entries that in turn use different fonts)

> Now we want to get the data into an Excel 97 spreadsheet. This shows the
> same behaviour as opening the tables directly. And I don't know what to do
> about it.

You'll also find a function that allows you to "print on Excel" what you
have on the table (writes out a file and 'start' it or calls Excel on it,
needs two variable to configure).

You'll also find filter and search functions, and if you know a little bit
of tcl/tk you can use direcly the main tcl "bricks" that have planty of
options, hooks for validity checks, inhibit the view of parts of the tables
and so on.

You can find more information on TkSql at

http://pcco2.mi.infn.it/sd/soft

A rish demo is included in the demo. Simple install script + .rpm, and .deb
license is GPL.

Hope this helps, if you have any problems w/ TkSql, please let me know, I
didn't have much feed-back since I released it (2 months) ago. I have being
using TkSql since a couple of years.

sandro dentella
*:-)

PS. it you are concerned about rewriting some forms, it is as difficoult as
writing:

set attrs {
first_name last_name
address -
address2 -
phone fax
}
editDb -attrs $attrs -tbl names -mask

--
Sandro Dentella *:-)
e-mail: sandro(at)ermit(dot)it sandro(dot)dentella(at)mi(dot)infn(dot)it