Re: New SQL Datatype RECURRINGCHAR

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: David Bennett <dbennett(at)bensoft(dot)com>
Cc: Alex Pilosov <alex(at)pilosoft(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New SQL Datatype RECURRINGCHAR
Date: 2001-07-11 12:19:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David Bennett wrote:
> Alex,
>
> I think I fully understand your position. Let me put wrap up our
> conversation so far.
> [lots of arguments for recurringchar]

All I've seen up to now is that you continue to mix up
simplification on the user side with data and content control
on the DB designer side. Do the users create all the tables
and would have to create the views, or is that more the job
of someone who's educated enough?

And about the multiple lookups and storage of new types, we
have procedural languages and database triggers.

This is no personal offense, but I just don't see why we
should adopt non-standard MySQLism for functionality that is
available through standard mechanisms with alot more
flexibility and control.

Jan