Re: Re: Backup and Recovery

From: ncm(at)zembu(dot)com (Nathan Myers)
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Backup and Recovery
Date: 2001-07-09 20:54:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 06:52:49AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Nathan wrote:
> > How hard would it be to turn these row records into updates against a
> > pg_dump image, assuming access to a good table-image file?
>
> pg_dump is very hard because WAL contains only tids. No way to match
> that to pg_dump-loaded rows.

Maybe pg_dump can write out a mapping of TIDs to line numbers, and the
back-end can create a map of inserted records' line numbers when the dump
is reloaded, so that the original TIDs can be traced to the new TIDs.
I guess this would require a new option on IMPORT. I suppose the
mappings could be temporary tables.

Nathan Myers
ncm(at)zembu(dot)com