Re: Bad news for Open Source databases, acording to survey

From: "Brent R(dot) Matzelle" <bmatzelle(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-general <pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bad news for Open Source databases, acording to survey
Date: 2001-07-08 20:05:58
Lists: pgsql-general

--- Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Here is an article saying open source databases will not make
> major
> inroads into large businesses during the next five years:

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/datbus/article/0,,11969_796851,00.html

Those same weak arguments were used to discredit Linux as a
valid OS just a couple years ago. They dissappeared with the
increasing vendor support (Dell, IBM, etc) just as GreatBridge
and Red Hat are doing so now for PostgreSQL. Plus, with so many
youngsters coming out of college armed with experience with open
source tools like PostgreSQL it is silly to assume that the
current DB giants will reign supreme years from now given such
powerful alternatives.

I could go on with endless arguments to prove the logic of that
article incorrect but for most of you it would simply be a waste
of time. We have been there and heard that all before.
PostgreSQL will continue to grow as the community around it
grows and I have faith in that as I would imagine most of you do
as well.

Regards,

Brent