Re: Database Users Management and Privileges

From: "Jean-Francois Leveque" <leveque(at)webmails(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Database Users Management and Privileges
Date: 2001-07-06 17:11:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Gunnar Rnning wrote:

> * Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> |
> | Jean-Francois Leveque writes:
> |
> | > Comming from Oracle, I was disapointed that
> | > the users were not "per individual database".
> |
> | > Is there any chance that this will change in
> | > the future ?
> |
> | Most likely not. For one thing, it would be a problem to assign
owners to
> | databases.

Why can't database owners be referenced in one table
and database users (not owners) be referenced in
another table with the corresponding database
referenced ?

They're not the same kind of users, are they ?

Maybe I used Oracle too much in the past.

> Why ? Better user management and policy delegations would be
important
> postgresql to succeed in enterprise environments. Maybe one should
> start distinguishing logins from users like Sybase does. Logins are
global
> to all databases, and you can create a user for a given database and
assign
> it to a login. It would also be nice to be able to assign users to
> groups(which in turn define access rights within the database).

I created database user groups and I'm satisfied
about users assignment to groups (See CREATE GROUP
and ALTER GROUP).

Regarding Privileges, I was thinking about
the content of \z "Access permissions for database"
results. We have a lot of "=arwR" for the object
owner when we granted permissions to others. The
owner obviously has all rights on his objects and
I see no reason to revoke those rights. So, I think
they don't have to be stored in access permissions
if the PostgreSQL code can check if it's the owner
asking. We wouldn't then need the '"="' anymore for
not granting anything to PUBLIC.

We then wouldn't need to have :
"REVOKE ALL on <object> from PUBLIC;"
"GRANT ALL on <object> to <owner>;"
in pg_dump output.

I'm not able to help on this because I'm no
pgsql-hacker, but I think PostgreSQL will be
better with such alteration.

Maybe it's already on someone's list but I
couldn't find information about such work in progress.

Maybe those two changes are too much for 7.1.3,
but I think they would be good candidates for 8.0 .

Please tell me if I'm pushing too far, I'm not much
used to this list etiquette.

PostgreSQL is good, I just want it to be better.

regards,

Jean-Francois Leveque

Sur WebMailS.com, mon adresse de courrier lectronique gratuite.
Service multilingue, sr, et permanent. http://www.webmails.com/