Re: Solaris source code

From: ncm(at)zembu(dot)com (Nathan Myers)
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Solaris source code
Date: 2001-07-05 21:48:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 02:03:31PM -0700, Naomi Walker wrote:
> We are about to roll out PostgreSQL on Solaris, and I am interested
> in any Solaris specific gotcha's. Do you have some specifics in mind,
> or was this just general preventive maintenance type steps?

There have been reports of trouble with Unix sockets on Solaris.
You can use TCP sockets, which might be slower; or change, in
src/backend/libpq/pqcomm.c, the line

listen(fd, SOMAXCONN);

listen(fd, 1024);

(Cf. Stevens, "Unix Network Programming, Volume 1", pp. 96 and 918.)

I don't know (and Stevens doesn't hint) of any reason not to fold
this change into the mainline sources. However, we haven't heard
from the people who had had trouble with Unix sockets whether this
change actually fixes their problems.

The effect of the change is to make it much less likely for a
connection request to be rejected when connections are being opened
very frequently.

Nathan Myers
ncm(at)zembu(dot)com