Re: no comment

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: will trillich <will(at)serensoft(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: no comment
Date: 2001-06-29 18:34:07
Lists: pgsql-general

will trillich wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 05:45:17PM -0400, Thalis A. Kalfigopoulos wrote:
> > I'll take advantage of the fact the Pg is "open source" and that Bruce comments on the story, so as not to be flamed about this:
> >
> > http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6352301.html?tag=prntfr
>
> short term and off-the-cuff, my first reaction is 'those dirty
> bastards'... but then i begin to realize that they're cutting
> their own throat. in the end, quality will prevail.
>
> --
> I'd concentrate on "living in the now" because it is fun
> and on building a better world because it is possible.
> - Tod Steward

I just love the very last paragraph. It reflects exactly my
impressions. The big players got an eye on open-source.

What confuses me a little is that Microsoft's marketing
department wasn't able to stop this stupid thing. Why do they
help us to get so much public attention? Oracle's attempt
just to say "we don't see any real competition ..." was IMHO
alot smarter.

Jan