Configuration of statistical views

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL HACKERS <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Configuration of statistical views
Date: 2001-06-29 13:20:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

OK, all the high-frequently called functions of the pgstat
stuff are macros (will commit that later today).

Now about the per database configuration. The thing is that I
don't know if it is worth doing it too detailed. #ifdef'ing
out the functionality I have the following wallclock runtimes
for the regression test on a 500MHz P-III:

Backend does nothing: 1:03
Backend sends per table
scan and block IO: 1:05
Backend sends per table
info plus querystring: 1:10

If somebody wants to see an applications querystring (at
least the first 512 bytes) just in case something goes wrong
and the client hangs, he'd have to run querystring reporting
all the time either way.

So I can see value in a per database default in pg_database
plus the ability to switch it on/off via statement to analyze
single commands.

What do others think?

Jan