Re: Re: Red Hat to support PostgreSQL

From: Philip Molter <philip(at)datafoundry(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, Tim Barnard <tbarnard(at)povn(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Red Hat to support PostgreSQL
Date: 2001-06-28 03:11:52
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 06:58:18PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
: My guess on this one is that Solaris is slower for PostgreSQL because
: process switching is _much_ heavier on Solaris than other OS's. This is
: because of the way they implemented processes in SVr4. They got quite
: heavy, almost requiring kernel threads so you weren't switching
: processes all the time.
:
: In a sense threads were a solution to a process bloating problem.
: Linux/BSD have much lighter processes and hence work better for
: PostgreSQL. Again, this is only a guess.
:
: MySQL does more stuff with threads while PostgreSQL switches process
: because each backend is a process.

Does more stuff with threads? It does all stuff with threads. Your
guess was our guess, which is why we tried shoving the thing over to a
Linux box. Now if I only I could figure out why kernel CPU usage keeps
going up incrementally over time (went from roughly a 5% average to a
16% average in two days) the more we run the system. All signs are
pointing to postgres.

VACUUM ANALYZE-ing the tables used to reduce it back down, but now, it
doesn't appear to be as effective (might go from 16% back down to
13%). Anyone know what causes that, and better yet, anyone know how to
fix it? We see similar behavior under Solaris.

* Philip Molter
* DataFoundry.net
* http://www.datafoundry.net/
* philip(at)datafoundry(dot)net