A way of storing variables - will this work?

From: Edmund von der Burg <edmund(at)ecclestoad(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: A way of storing variables - will this work?
Date: 2001-06-27 11:41:27
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

For a project I am working on I needed some way of storing a variable for
the duration of a session and cooked this up, based on some previous posts
to this list:

create sequence variable_id_seq;

create table variables (
id integer
primary key
default nextval('variable_id_seq'),
value integer
);

create function set_var(integer)
returns integer
as 'insert into variables (value) values ($1);
select $1 as variable;'
language 'sql';

create function get_var()
returns integer
as 'select value
from variables
where id = currval(''variable_id_seq'');'
language 'sql';

Basically you set the variable using set_var(1234) and then get it back
using get_var().

I have tested this in as mawy ways as I can think of, but is there
any reason why it should not work? It will be used to store the access
level of the user and so to implement a security policy inside the
database.

Many thanks,

Edmund.

*** Edmund von der Burg *** edmund(at)ecclestoad(dot)co(dot)uk ***
*** Eccles & Toad *** http://www.ecclestoad.co.uk ***