Re: JDBC adaptor issue

From: Bruce Toback <btoback(at)mac(dot)com>
To: Barry Lind <blind(at)xythos(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: JDBC adaptor issue
Date: 2001-06-25 05:55:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sunday, June 24, 2001, at 10:32 PM, Barry Lind wrote:

> This is an interesting problem. And I can't think a any easy
> solution. But given TOAST in 7.1 the existing implementation
> doesn't make sense IMHO My suggestion would be that the
> get/setXXXStream methods work on TOASTed data types and
> get/setBlob be used for Blobs.

That would be my preference as well.

> As far as your patch, I don't see that as a generic solution.
> It is equally likely that a Blob could contain less than 8190
> characters, or a varchar could contain more that 8190
> characters in 7.1.

It's certainly not a generic solution. I was looking for a
solution that would break fewer of the applications that rely on
the current nonstandard behavior. I'd much prefer to simply have
get/set...stream just implement the standard behavior. But not
knowing the Postgres developers' preferences when it comes to
these questions, I chose the break-fewer-existing-apps approach.

If the answer is that the Postgres developers are willing to
tell current JDBC users to switch to the Blob/Clob methods when
that's what they really mean, I'll remove the switch before
submitting the patch.

-- Bruce