Re: Service reboot leaves postmaster.pid

From: Fred Yankowski <fred(at)ontosys(dot)com>
To: Dmitry Yurtaev <dmitry(at)channel4(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Service reboot leaves postmaster.pid
Date: 2001-06-16 20:20:39
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Dmitri,

On Sat, Jun 16, 2001 at 08:55:15PM +0400, Dmitry Yurtaev wrote:
> with your patch applied to 0.93-1 postmaster gets a signal and shuts down
> properly. but after reboot it fails to start anyway. SCM writes error event
> saying "Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the Cygwin PostgreSQL
> Server service to connect". i've tried to track down a problem, but for me
> it looks like that cygrunsrv isn't executing at all!

That sounds like the same symptom that the other guy saw with sshd.
I've never encountered that problem and don't know how to recreate it
to do any testing. As you mention, it's a b**** to test anyway
because it happens during NT startup.

It seems that the Cygwin DLL does some initialization when it is first
loaded (to link with the first application that depends on it). One
guess as to what's happening is that cygrunsrv is the first such
Cygwin application and something occurs during DLL init that hangs
when it happens early in the NT startup process. Putting some kind of
debug traces into dll_init.cc might be a place to start, but I don't
know how to recreate the problem to where this would be useful.

> P.S. 4 hunks of your patch get rejected against 0.93-1 - it doesn't have
> 'dir' args in reg manipulation functions.

My patches are relative to the latest (as of yesterday) CVS version of
the cygrunsrv source.

--
Fred Yankowski fred(at)OntoSys(dot)com tel: +1.630.879.1312
Principal Consultant www.OntoSys.com fax: +1.630.879.1370