Index files grow forever?

From: "Cary O'Brien" <cobrien(at)Radix(dot)Net>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Index files grow forever?
Date: 2001-06-12 14:28:11
Lists: pgsql-bugs

I've got a system with a few files that have lots of inserts
and then a batch of deletes every hour if there are too many
rows in the table.

There is an index on the table.

The index file seems to grow (slowly) without bound, and vacuum doesn't
reclaim the space. Even if I type it slowly and hit the keys very hard.

The size of the data table stays about the same (i.e. space is reclaimed).

Am I seeing things?

Is this fixed in 7.1.2 (I'm using 7.0.3)?

How do people deal with this? Just drop/recreate the index every
once in a while?

Thanks,

-- cary (happy PostgreSQL user since 1996)