Re: [DOCS] Re: libpq sockets on win32

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: jeff(at)jeffjohnson(dot)net, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [DOCS] Re: libpq sockets on win32
Date: 2001-06-10 02:48:38
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

> > > I don't know enough about such things.
> >
> > The web page wasn't clear about that.
> No, that list is not correct.
>
> 1) select() can *only* be used on a socket in Windows, and it puts its
> error info in WSAGetLastError().
>
> 2) ioctl() should *not* be used on sockets. Instead, ioctlsocket()
> shuold be used. ioctlsocket() puts its error info in WSAGetLastError().
> (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/psdk/winsock/ovrvw3_98mq.htm). (loads
> fine in my Netscape, doesn't look all that good, but definitly readable)
>
> 3) fcntl() should *not* be used on sockets. ioctlsocket() again.
>
> Generaelly, all functions dealing with sockets use WSAGetLastError().
> And sockets and file descriptors are *not* necessarily interchangable on
> Win32.
>

> Note - this is Win32, *not* cygwin. Cygwin maps to errno, AFAIK.

OK, I have heard enough to know that I don't want to try this patch
without a WIN32 development environment, which I don't have. Seems like
we have some major libpq work to do for WIN32. If someone wants to code
something, we will consider applying it. Sorry.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us