Re: Various silliness in heap_getnext and related routines

From: bruc(at)stone(dot)congenomics(dot)com (Robert E(dot) Bruccoleri)
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us (Tom Lane)
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Various silliness in heap_getnext and related routines
Date: 2001-06-09 16:28:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dear Tom,

> Robert Bruccoleri (bruc(at)stone(dot)congen(dot)com) wrote:
> > It's not clear to me why the spinlock needs be grabbed at the
> > beginning of RelationGetBufferWithBuffer,
>
> I believe you are right: the spinlock doesn't need to be grabbed,
> because if a valid buffer is passed in, it must already be pinned
> (since the returned buffer is expected to be pinned). Hence the check
> for same-buffer could be done without first grabbing the spinlock.

For my immediate problem, would removing the spinlock acquisition
be OK?

Thanks for looking into this problem.

Sincerely,
Bob

| Robert E. Bruccoleri, Ph.D. | Phone: 609 737 6383 |
| President, Congenomics, Inc. | Fax: 609 737 7528 |
| 114 W Franklin Ave, Suite K1,4,5 | email: bruc(at)acm(dot)org |
| P.O. Box 314 | URL: http://www.congen.com/~bruc |
| Pennington, NJ 08534 | |