Current value of a sequence?

From: Adam Haberlach <adam(at)newsnipple(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Current value of a sequence?
Date: 2001-06-03 19:34:22
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm trying to find the next value that will be assigned by a sequence
without actually incrementing it (yes, I know it isn't atomic-safe
and all)

I had a lot of trouble finding information about sequences in
the current documentation (maybe it is in the A4 PDF version or
something). When I finally resorted to trolling through the
source code, and found currval, it seems to have an odd (IMHO)
behavior:

zipcode=# select currval('messages_pkey_seq');
ERROR: messages_pkey_seq.currval is not yet defined in this session

...however, if I select nextval() first, it works. Is this
lazy caching? Is there a good way to find the current value of
sequence without querying directly (and possibly breaking in
future implementations?)

--
Adam Haberlach | At either end of the social spectrum there lies
adam(at)newsnipple(dot)com | a leisure class. -- Eric Beck 1965