Re:Sync Data

From: djohnson(at)sourcesoft(dot)org
To: Paulo Angelo <pa(at)bsb(dot)conectiva(dot)com(dot)br>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re:Sync Data
Date: 2001-05-31 14:34:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

This is my first post/reply on this list, but I have been listening for a
while now (I mostly read the replication ones ;-). I am interested in
what developers/users are looking for in a replication/sync solution in
postgresql, and contributing to that effort.
>I'm trying to centralize data in a unique db, like it:\
<snip, cool ascii art removed >
>Information:
> 1) The "small" DBs sync data with the "big" DB.
What is the connection between small and big Dbs? (LAN/WAN)
Is there a consistent connection between systems?
> 3) The big DB has a copy of all data.
Just the "small" DBs inserts data in the "big" one.
Are you looking for synchronous (before the insert commits) or
asynchronous (after the insert commits)?
Is there any chance for insert/update conflicts (insert/update same
record in same table) on the "big" DB?

>The question: Does Postgres do it?
Short answer, I don't think the current postgresql version will
accomplish your needs, but there are some postgresql replication projects
that might get you close depending on the answers to my questions above.
You can find a list of the projects here.
http://www.greatbridge.org/genpage?replication_top

Darren Johnson
Source Software Institute