INSTALL procedure doesn't create data dir.

From: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: INSTALL procedure doesn't create data dir.
Date: 2001-05-30 15:05:33
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Josh Burdick (jburdick(at)gradient(dot)cis(dot)upenn(dot)edu) reports a bug with a severity of 3

Short Description
INSTALL procedure doesn't create data dir.

Long Description
when doing an install-from-source of 7.1.2, on an Intel Red Hat 6.1 box, following the INSTALL "short version", it compiled cleanly.
But "initdb" failed -- it couldn't find the data directory.
So I created it by hand, and everything looked fine.
I don't expect this to happen terribly often, because most people
will be either actually using some sort of package which (presumably) takes care of this, or installing over a previous installation (in which case the data directory's already there.)

Sample Code
workaround:
% su
% cd /usr/local/pgsql
% mkdir data
% chown postgres:postgres data
% exit
... then I continue doing the INSTALL instructions, picking up at "initdb...", and things look spiffy from there on.

No file was uploaded with this report