Re: WARNING: owner of type appears to be invalid?

From: "Oliver Elphick" <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Marc Sherman" <msherman(at)projectile(dot)ca>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WARNING: owner of type appears to be invalid?
Date: 2001-05-23 20:45:28
Lists: pgsql-admin

Tom Lane wrote:
>"Marc Sherman" <msherman(at)projectile(dot)ca> writes:
>> From: Tom Lane [mailto:tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us]
>>> Sounds like you have no pg_shadow entry for the postgres user.
>
>> No, that's not it:
>> This is strange, though -- the problem types have typowner set
>> to 103 in pg_type, which is clearly invalid. 103 happens to be
>> the Linux user ID (in passwd) for the postgres user. Strange.
>
>> I suspect this may be a problem with the Debian install scripts;
>> Debian is forcing postgres' user id to be 31 in the db, since it
>> used to use a reserved user id for postgres in the os.

Yes: this is a hangover from the old system which I can remove, since there
is no longer any point in it.

>Either that or a bug in initdb: it *should* substitute the same ID into
>postgres' pg_shadow entry as it does into the owner columns of the
>template1 system catalogs. Maybe it's getting confused. Oliver,
>any thoughts?

I can't see any bug in the initdb script. It looks straightforward.

Did the user perhaps delete and recreate the postgres user at some stage?
Then the hard-coded sysid in the installation would orphan user-created
functions when the database was upgraded.

--
Oliver Elphick Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Isle of Wight http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver