Re: Re: AW: Plans for solving the VACUUM problem

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh(at)pop(dot)jaring(dot)my>
Cc: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, Barry Lind <barry(at)xythos(dot)com>, Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: AW: Plans for solving the VACUUM problem
Date: 2001-05-22 13:01:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Lincoln Yeoh wrote:
> At 04:41 PM 21-05-2001 -0400, Jan Wieck wrote:
> >
> > As a rule of thumb, online applications that hold open
> > transactions during user interaction are considered to be
> > Broken By Design (tm). So I'd slap the programmer/design
> > team with - let's use the server box since it doesn't contain
> > anything useful.
> >

> Many web applications use persistent database connections for performance
> reasons.
>
> I suppose it's unlikely for webapps to update a row and then sit and wait a
> long time for a hit, so it shouldn't affect most of them.
>
> However if long running transactions are to be aborted automatically, it
> could possibly cause problems with some apps out there.
>
> Worse if long running transactions are _disconnected_ (not just aborted).

All true, but unrelated. He was talking about open
transactions holding locks while the user is off to recycle
some coffee or so. A persistent database connection doesn't
mean that you're holding a transaction while waiting for the
next hit.

And Postgres doesn't abort transaction or disconnect because
of their runtime. Then again, it'd take care for half done
work aborted by the httpd because a connection loss inside of
a transaction causes an implicit rollback.

Jan