pgsql/src include/access/hio.h backend/access/ ...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)hub(dot)org>
To: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgsql/src include/access/hio.h backend/access/ ...
Date: 2001-05-16 22:35:13
Lists: pgsql-committers

CVSROOT: /home/projects/pgsql/cvsroot
Module name: pgsql
Changes by: tgl(at)hub(dot)org 01/05/16 18:35:13

Modified files:
src/include/access: hio.h
src/backend/access/heap: hio.c heapam.c

Log message:
Repair race condition introduced into heap_update() in 7.1 ---
PageGetFreeSpace() was being called while not holding the buffer lock, which
not only could yield a garbage answer, but even if it's the right answer there
might be less space available after we reacquire the buffer lock.

Also repair potential deadlock introduced by my recent performance improvement
in RelationGetBufferForTuple(): it was possible for two heap_updates to try to
lock two buffers in opposite orders. The fix creates a global rule that
buffers of a single heap relation should be locked in decreasing block number
order. Currently, this only applies to heap_update; VACUUM can get away with
ignoring the rule since it holds exclusive lock on the whole relation anyway.
However, if we try to implement a VACUUM that can run in parallel with other
transactions, VACUUM will also have to obey the lock order rule.