Re: I need a jump start

From: "Eric G(dot) Miller" <egm2(at)jps(dot)net>
To: PG-General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: I need a jump start
Date: 2001-05-16 05:21:22
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 08:36:59PM -0700, Scott Holmes wrote:
> I need to write a C program that will require libpq and ecpg. I'm hoping
> someone can point me to an example. I'm not a C programmer, so I need a crash
> course or jump start. The original program has existed as an Informix 4GL
> program for many years. We have lately been converting our application to
> PostgreSQL. All the user interfaces have been written with a rather obscure
> set of tools to be run on Windows clients. This particular program needs to
> be run with cron on the server. Essentially, it will scan a relatively short
> list of records, compare values with records or tuples from a relatively large
> table then insert into and or update other tables. Interestingly enough, the
> first table's name is trigger. As most of the actions required are time
> delayed (days or weeks), triggers are not a viable option for this.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion for an existing program or code I can study to
> give myself a leg up on this?

Maybe a plpgsql function and a shell script would be easier for you?
Sounds like most of the work can be done by PostgreSQL itself with
standard SQL and a few flow control mechanisms (like in plpgsql).
Anyway, there are some examples in the programming manual for all of the
above...

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2(at)jps(dot)net>