Re: 7.2 items

From: Alfred Perlstein <bright(at)wintelcom(dot)net>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Patrick Welche <prlw1(at)newn(dot)cam(dot)ac(dot)uk>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 7.2 items
Date: 2001-05-14 20:55:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> [010514 13:39] wrote:
> Patrick Welche writes:
>
> > > I have no objection to the gettext API, but I was and still am concerned
> > > about depending on GNU gettext's code, because of license conflicts.
> > > There is a BSD-license gettext clone project, but it doesn't look to be
> > > very far along.
> >
> > What's missing with it?
>
> * portability
>
> At first glance, uses strlcat and strlcpy. Didn't look further.
>
> * dedication to portability
>
> Only plans to support *BSD.
>
> * source code availability
>
> Didn't find anything outside NetBSD CVS and the CVS rep where they got it
> from.
>
> * documentation
>
> Related to above.
>
> * English support forum
>
> Only Japanese mailing list available.
>

> If you can address these things we might have a winner, otherwise we might
> have to fork it.

Please don't fork it. If you base off the FreeBSD gettext I will
merge your changes into ours as long as they follow the style of
the existing code.

I'd really like to see a "bsd userland" out there not tied to a
particular version of UNIX so this means a lot to me.

--
-Alfred Perlstein - [alfred(at)freebsd(dot)org]
Daemon News Magazine in your snail-mail! http://magazine.daemonnews.org/