to BLOB or not to BLOB

From: Aristide Aragon <zuri(at)busa(dot)lionking(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: to BLOB or not to BLOB
Date: 2001-05-14 05:17:26
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello

I am going to write an application tht writes big amounts of plain text into a database.
I thought of using the text type for this, but I don't know if it has a maxlenght, and given that these will be very long texts I started wondered if these would have to be blobs... but they aren't binary.
So, does the text daya type have a maxium lenght? Do BLOBs? What should I use? For the time being, at least, I won't be searching these texts with a search engine or anything... but if I were to be, what considerations should I take into account when designing the tables?

Thanks in advance

Aristide Aragon