Re: NOCREATETABLE patch (was: Re: Please, help!(about Postgres))

From: Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: NOCREATETABLE patch (was: Re: Please, help!(about Postgres))
Date: 2001-05-09 09:12:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, May 07, 2001 at 02:48:11PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Can someone remind me what we are going to do with this?
>
> > This patch add to 7.0.2 code NOCREATETABLE and NOLOCKTABLE feature:

It's my old patch, it's usable and some people use it for 7.0.x. But
it's really temporary solution and it was 1 day in official CVS :-)
We remove it after discussion with Peter E. More correct will implement
better privilege system.

A privilege system is *very* important for real multiuser and
sophisticated systems. For example if you compare PostgreSQL with Oracle,
the PostgreSQL is really not winner in this part. Peter has some idea
about it and Jan sent something about it too, but I not sure if somebody
works on this and plannig it for some next release (or...? -- will good
if I not right:-)

Karel