UPDATE and INDEX on expensive function with (IsCachable)

From: "Albert REINER" <areiner(at)tph(dot)tuwien(dot)ac(dot)at>
To: PostgreSQL-Novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: UPDATE and INDEX on expensive function with (IsCachable)
Date: 2001-05-04 09:59:13
Lists: pgsql-novice

Suppose some _cachable_ function f is expensive, but its results are
often needed. So, to speed up queries, we have an index on
f(table.field). I wonder what happens when we update a tuple of that
table: will f be re-computed if table.field is not changed? What if
the update explicitly re-sets table.field to its old value?

Thanks in advance,

Albert.