Re: Thanks, naming conventions, and count()

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Casey Lyon <casey(at)earthcars(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Thanks, naming conventions, and count()
Date: 2001-04-30 03:24:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > Yes, I like that idea, but the problem is that it is hard to update just
> > one table in the file. You sort of have to update the entire file each
> > time a table changes. That is why I liked symlinks because they are
> > per-table, but you are right that the symlink creation could fail
> > because the new table file was never created or something, leaving the
> > symlink pointing to nothing. Not sure how to address this. Is there a
> > way to update a flat file when a single table changes?
>
> Why not just dump the whole file? That way, if a previosu dump failed for
> whatever reason, the new dump would correct that omission ...

Yes, you can do that, but it is only updated during a dump, right?
Makes it hard to use during the day, no?

> Then again, why not some sort of 'lsdb' command that looks at where it is
> and gives you info as appropriate?

I want to do that for oid2name. I had the plan layed out, but never got
to it.

> if in data/base, then do a connect to template1 using postgres so that you
> can dump and parse the raw data from pg_database ... if in a directory,
> you should be able to connect to that database in a similar way to grab
> the contents of pg_class ...
>
> no server would need to be running for this to work, and if it was
> readonly, it should be workable if a server is running, no?

I think parsing the file contents is too hard. The database would have
to be running and I would use psql.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us