Re: Thanks, naming conventions, and count()

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Casey Lyon <casey(at)earthcars(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Thanks, naming conventions, and count()
Date: 2001-04-30 03:00:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Sun, 29 Apr 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>

> > > doesn't this defeat the reasons for going to numerics? is there a reason
> > > why its such a difficult thing to do a SELECT oid on pg_database and
> > > pg_class to get this information? that's what I've been doing when I need
> > > to know *shrug*
> >
> > Yes, but you can't do that if you can't start the database or can't
> > connect for some reason. If people don't think it is worthwhile, we can
> > delete the TODO item.
>
> Okay, what does being able to ls the directory give you if you can't start
> the database? the only thing I do it for is to figure out whicih tables
> are taking up so much disk space, or which databases ...

Yes, it is just for admin convenience, and if you pull back a database
from a tar backup, you can know which files are which without starting
the database.

> > For example, when someone has trouble figuring out which directory is
> > which database, they can just ls and look at the symlinks. Seems like
> > a nice feature.
>
> Ya, but I thought that the reason for going numeric had to do with being
> transaction safe ... something about being able to safely RENAME a table,
> if my recollection remotely comes close ... as soon as you start throwing
> around symlinks, do we break that once more? what about if someone wants
> to physically move a table to a seperate file system, which is something
> that has been suggested as a way around the fact that all files are in the
> same subdirectory? You have a symlink to the symlink?
>
> I don't know the answers to these questions, which is why I'm asking them
> ... if this is something safe to do, and doesn't break us again, then
> sounds like a good idea to me too ...

I was suggesting the symlinks purely for admin convenience. The database
would use only the numeric names.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us