Re: Building Fault Tolerant/Failover PGSQL Systems

From: darcy(at)druid(dot)net (D'Arcy J(dot)M(dot) Cain)
To: special agent k <chickensoda(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Building Fault Tolerant/Failover PGSQL Systems
Date: 2001-04-29 11:02:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thus spake special agent k
> I'm new to postgresql...but so far i love it...after working with companies
> that have spent millions of dollars on the big "O" i must say pgsql is a
> breath of fresh air...nice work to all who contributed.
>
> I'm looking at building a fault tolerant/failover database [hot standby]
> system using pgsql. I have setup and tested out DRBD and it works pretty
> well...althoug no work seams to have been done on it for a while. I
> also just found out about eRserver but have not tried it out yet.
>
> Does anyone have suggestions/recommendations for a good system that can be
> used for a high volume commercially available application.

Something that I am looking at is setting up two high-end systems connected
to an external RAID array. The RAID gives us storage redundancy and
either system can take over and be the database server using the same files.
Of course we will still do nightly backups but it would have to be quite
the catastrophe if we ever needed it.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy(at){druid|vex}.net> | Democracy is three wolves