starting personal postmaster

From: Stefan Karrmann <sk(at)mathematik(dot)uni-ulm(dot)de>
To: pgsql-general(at)PostgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: starting personal postmaster
Date: 2001-04-27 09:03:55
Lists: pgsql-general

How can I start a personal postmaster, e.g. the postmaster should
manage a database cluster in ~/pgdata/.

I'm using the Debian package of postgresql (7.0.3) and it want's to create
a socket at /var/run/postgres/.s.PORT.sock (or something similiar).
As I am not user postgres I dont have the permission to do this.
This seems to be the only problem to start postgres on an user account.
Is this Debian specific? Are there methods to avoid this?

I tried:
$ mkdir ~/pgdata
$ initdb -D ~/pgdata
$ postmaster -D ~/pgdata

Please CC answers to me <sk(at)mathematik(dot)uni-ulm(dot)de>.

Thanks,
--
Stefan Karrmann