Re: Cursor support in pl/pg

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cursor support in pl/pg
Date: 2001-04-25 21:10:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> ncm(at)zembu(dot)com (Nathan Myers) writes:
> > Now that 7.1 is safely in the can, is it time to consider
> > this patch?
>
> Not till we've forked the tree for 7.2, which is probably a week or so
> away...

IIRC the patch only provides the syntax for CURSOR to
PL/pgSQL. Not real cursor support on the SPI level. So it's
still the same as before, the backend will try to suck up the
entire resultset into the SPI tuple table (that's memory) and
die if it's huge enough.

What we really need is an improvement to the SPI manager to
support cursor (or cursor like behaviour through repeated
executor calls).

Jan