Re: installing DBD::Pg without installing postgres

From: "Jeff Duffy" <jeff(at)alanne(dot)com>
To: Fran Fabrizio <ffabrizio(at)Exchange(dot)WebMD(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: installing DBD::Pg without installing postgres
Date: 2001-04-24 02:36:03
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001 16:30:43 -0400, Fran Fabrizio alluded:

> Hello,
>
> It seems that there should be a way to install the DBD Pg module without
> having to install postgres on the local machine. I tried installing
> just the libs rpm, but that didn't seem to do the trick. I've done some
> usenet and mailing list archive searches, but all the info I'm turning
> up appears geared towards the assumption that you also want postgres
> installed locally. Am I looking in the wrong places?

There really isn't any reason to do so. If you're looking to have many
machines connect to a single PostgreSQL database, take a look at DBI::Proxy.
It is designed to allow you to connect to databases that have libraries
linked into the DBD::* executables without needing the libraries on the local
box (this is very nice for avoiding the Oracle client library installs as
well).

Jeff