Re: maybe Offtopic : PostgreSQL & PHP ?

From: Roberto Mello <rmello(at)cc(dot)usu(dot)edu>
To: Mathijs Brands <mathijs(at)ilse(dot)nl>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: maybe Offtopic : PostgreSQL & PHP ?
Date: 2001-04-18 14:54:24
Lists: pgsql-php pgsql-sql

On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 04:44:36PM +0200, Mathijs Brands wrote:

> I've written several applications with Apache/PHP. At first I was using
> persistant connections, but I was soon forced to revert to normal db
> connects. The problem is the number of connections opened. If you have
> 50 Apache processes and 5 different databases, it is highly likely that
> you will end up (if you leave your application running long enough) with
> 250 persistant db links; not something pgsql really likes, unless you
> configure it to correctly handle large numbers of db links. Apache/PHP
> doesn't provide you with some way to pool connections :(

Ah, I see the problem. When you mentioned there were problems I
thought you were talking about the connections themselves.
I am using PHP 4 under AOLserver/OpenNSD, which has been fully
threaded from scratch (1994) so I hope this won't be much of an issue (but
then PHP 4 still has threading problems AFAIK).
Not using persistant connections is just too slow for me. It's
instantaneous for AOLserver to generate a page, when the same page with the
connection overhead in PHP takes A LOT longer.

-Roberto
--
+----| http://fslc.usu.edu USU Free Software & GNU/Linux Club |------+
Roberto Mello - Computer Science, USU - http://www.brasileiro.net