Re: PostgreSQL for WinNT

From: Jason Tishler <Jason(dot)Tishler(at)dothill(dot)com>
To: Fred Yankowski <fred(at)ontosys(dot)com>
Cc: Pgsql-Ports <pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL for WinNT
Date: 2001-04-13 14:27:03
Lists: pgsql-ports

Fred,

On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 05:00:26PM -0500, Fred Yankowski wrote:
> This is in response to a note you sent to one of the Postgres lists.

I *knew* that I was going to get myself into trouble by responding with
more than "I dunno"...

I hope that you don't mind but I'm CC-ing pgsql-ports so others can
benefit from this too.

> On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 05:00:46PM -0400, Jason Tishler wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 09:38:37PM -0400, Kevin McLaughlin wrote:
> > > Can you say if the version you have loaded in the cygwin download
> > > allows ODBC access from Windows PCs.
> >
> > I'm sure that it doesn't.
>
> Well, the distribution by itself doesn't provide ODBC access, but if
> one separately obtains and installs the psqlodbc.dll file then ODBC
> access should work. I haven't tried this with your distribution, but
> it works when I build postgres from source using only the '--with-CXX'
> config option.

I just did the following (with 7.1rc4):

$ cd src/interfaces/odbc
$ make

The above produced psqlodbc.dll which seems to be exporting the "right
stuff." How do I test this -- I have never used ODBC before.

> I find ODBC access to be critical to my use of PostgreSQL on NT.
> Perhaps we can find some way to include psqlodbc.dll in the
> distribution.

I'm quite willing to include ODBC support in my distribution. However I
will only include a Cygwin psqlodbc.dll -- including a straight Win32 one
is confusing and could cause some problems. There are too many Cygwin
to non-Cygwin interaction problems on the Cygwin mailing list already...

> > > Do you have to use the configure option --with-odbc for odbc to work,
> >
> > The above sounds reasonable, but I have never tried it.
>
> That did _not_ work when I tried it a month or so ago. Hiroshi Inoue
> steered me to the readme.txt in src/interfaces/odbc. By following
> those steps, which involve using MS VC++, I was able to build the DLL
> myself. It turned out that having tried building with --with-odbc
> prior to that had actually left things in a bad state in the
> interfaces/odbc folder and it was necessary to do a distclean before
> building the DLL.

I just did the following (with 7.1rc4):

$ cd src/interfaces/odbc
$ nmake -f win32.mak

The above produced Win32 psqlodbc.dll and seems to be much easier than
trying to follow the steps in src/interfaces/odbc/readme.txt.

Anyway, if we can verify that Cygwin psqlodbc.dll works correctly, then
I will add the --with-odbc option when I configure from now on.

Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235