Re: Convert Filemaker Pro db to Postgresql db

From: Adam Haberlach <adam(at)newsnipple(dot)com>
To: Scott Gritton <sgritton(at)rsv(dot)ricoh(dot)com>
Cc: "'pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Convert Filemaker Pro db to Postgresql db
Date: 2001-04-07 18:54:09
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 12:47:17PM -0700, Scott Gritton wrote:
> I've been reading through the lists but have not been able to find any
> information about how to take a Filemaker Pro database and convert it into a
> Postgresql database.
> Does anyone have any information on how to do this type of conversion?

We did it by having a webmaster write a Frontier script to generate a
report formatted thusly:

INSERT INTO rawbugs (....) VALUES (...)

(where there is a fieldlist and data in the (), of course)

...then I just use pgsql -f <filename> to slurp it in, and spent an
afternoon dealing with the breakage (we had some greater-then-8k tuples
that I had to sort out).

Other options, as people have mentioned, would be ODBC, but we found
that this worked better. And that FileMaker sucks.

--
Adam Haberlach |
adam(at)newsnipple(dot)com | http://youlook.org