Re: Oracle -> Postgresql migration

From: Roberto Mello <rmello(at)cc(dot)usu(dot)edu>
To: Douglas Brunton <dbrunton(at)bigfootinteractive(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Oracle -> Postgresql migration
Date: 2001-03-28 18:51:05
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 01:24:11PM -0500, Douglas Brunton wrote:
> Hello,
> I am currently in the process of attempting an Oracle 8i to Postgresql 7.0.3 migration. The table conversions were pretty straight forward, and I have all of the tables ported over (with some minor datatype conversions). The stored procedures are a different case altogether. I am wondering if anyone on the list has pointers/conversion utilities for undertaking this task. Any information is welcome.

I wrote a "Porting from Oracle PL/SQL" document that was added to the
PL/pgSQL documentation in 7.1. It has lots of useful info on how to port
to PL/pgSQL.
You can find this document under the Programmer's manual on the PG 7.1
documentation (development docs).
This week I will change that document to become more generic and add
information on how to change some Oracle'isms (e.g. nvl, decode, etc.) to
PostgreSQL, sticking to the standard where possible.

-Roberto
--
+----| http://fslc.usu.edu USU Free Software & GNU/Linux Club|------+
Roberto Mello - Computer Science, USU - http://www.brasileiro.net