Deleting Objects...

From: Rolando Lora <rlddm(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Deleting Objects...
Date: 2001-03-25 22:08:47
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi there...

I'm not sure if this is a "bug" or not but I couldn't
find how to deal with it.

For instance if we create a table using "Object ID"
for storing large objects:

> create table picture(id serial, pic_oid oid);

and then we add some data:

> insert into picture
(pic_oid) values (lo_import('/tmp/image.jpg'));

We'll insert into the table an "Object Id" pointing to
an external file "xin...OID".

But when we execute:

> delete from picture;

The data contained in the table gets deleted but the
real object "xin...OID" remains untouched when (I
Think) it should be deleted too. Is this a bug?

I'm developing an application where I need to upload a
lot of pictures but when I delete some of them I don't
want files floating around that used to be pictures.

Is there anyway I can deal with it?

Thanks in advance...