Re: initdb and data directories with lost+found

From: Steve Stock <steve(at)technolope(dot)org>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: initdb and data directories with lost+found
Date: 2001-03-22 19:30:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 06:16:03PM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> It is never a good idea to let initdb loose on a directory that might
> possibly have some other purpose, including that of being the root
> directory of an ext2 partition. Initdb or the database system can do
> anything they want in that directory, so it's not good to save lost blocks
> somewhere in the middle, even if chances are low you need them. I say,
> create a subdirectory.

While I agree that the PGDATA directory shouldn't be used by anything
save postgres, I don't think that lost+found constitutes another use of
the directory. The only way that a conflict could occur is if postgres
used the lost+found directory, something I that don't expect will occur.

Side note, the reason that I ran into this in the first place is because
I'm toying with multiple data directories each on their own logical volume.
For the directory structure I'd prefer something like postgres/data[123]
rather than postgres/data[123]/data or postgres[123]/data.

Steve Stock
steve(at)technolope(dot)org